Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Kindness of Others

Early Saturday 9/25/10 - I am outside with no shoes, a perfect stranger stops by and asks what wrong. I told im I was raped. He immediately pulls out his phone and dials 911-  he gets me on the line with dispatch. He then begins banging on the door, he wanted in so he could get the guy.  His woman friend was also banging on the windows assuring me I would be ok.  I get them to stop the banging and the door opens just slightly enough for one of the "men" to slip my purse out onto the sidewalk......my purse....did they really think that was what I was worried about.     An off duty club security bouncer pulled up in his car and asked what we were doing. We told him waiting for police.....im not sure how long we waited but it felt like an eternity.
This security bouncer put me in his car, gave me his number, brought me and waited with me at the police station that was less that 2 blocks away for the police to show.   The police finally came-  The responding officer was the most amazing man. Never accusing, never judgmental.  Unfortunately we couldnt do anything until the Detective showed up.  So we waited, and waited and waited......Sorry to wake you up and make you do your job on the weekend Detective.

No comments: