Friday, October 1, 2010

Exam Time

The SANE nurse sits me down on the couch, the caseworker is still there, sitting across from me.  I feel my nerves building. I breathe. Maybe one or two questions were asked, I get nauseous. Everything is settling in my mind. This happened. I am here. This is real.  I bolt to the bathroom and vomit. The SANE nurse and caseworker standing in the bathroom doorway and I am puking in front of them.  As if this day wasn't humiliating enough. The caseworker gets me some toothpaste, toothbrush and a towel so I can clean up. Back to the couch. I cant even remember the questions that were asked, im still feeling sick.
Im taken back to the exam table, caseworker still by my side.I am told to stand on a white paper and take all my clothes off, awesome. (****correction to earlier post...I did not change into a gown when initially brought back to the first ER room. I was told to go in the room and sit on the bed, there was a gown at the foot of it.  The responding officer pulls the curtain and stands outside, im not sure if he thought I was just changing or he was just giving me, or himself, a minute.) Isn't it kindof late to try and get evidence that falls off my clothing? I've been on the sidewalk, the back of a squadcar, the registration room in the ER and laying down in 2 different beds in 2 different rooms....im sure anything that would have fallen off, already has. The SANE nurse wants to take pictures of my bruises and scrapes....I didnt really notice I had any. Sure enough my elbows were bruise, a cut on the left one, bruise on the forearm...I cant remember where else. I just layed there, cooperating not really caring what they were doing. The SANE nurse holds some heated light over my body and scans it.  A female Dr. comes in for the pelvic exam.  Im almost positive she did not say one word to me. Thanks for showing up lady, now get the fuck out.
The vaginal exam is pretty much just like your annual visit to the GYN. Ya lay there and they go in and swab for whatever it is they swab for.  They also use some purple concoction so they can look inside and determine if there is any tearing. Im pretty sure I overheard I had one. I wouldn't know though, Ms. Dr. couldnt be bothered to say anything to me. The exam is not physically painful, and with the ativan calming my nerves nothing else they did upset me. It had to be done.
I am told the SANE nurse was not told to keep any of my clothing as evidence. As a standard, they always keep the underwear. Normally, if told they have to keep your clothing...so you have to pick from scraps of donated clothing in a tall white cabinet. I, fortunately get to wear my clothing home, with a fresh new pair of underwear.  The SANE Nurse and caseworker leave while I get dressed...not sure why, they've both seen everything I've got to offer.  I pick up my shirt to put it on an notice some sort of staining on the back. Not sure if its case related or not, so I go to the big white cabinet and find a long sleeve black shirt that fits.  I left shirt back on the white piece of paper and inform the SANE nurse of why.
The SANE nurse hands me plan B. Take one, then another 12 hours later.  Hands me 4 small red pills. I am nauseous again. Another sprint to the bathroom to vomit.
I am exhausted, I come back out and lay on the couch. He writes a script for 4 white pills, to be taken all at the same time.  Antibiotic. Another script for the nausea. I also get a nice shot in the ass, Antibiotic.
The SANE nurse makes sure its ok to call and check in, or course it is. I prefer to know what is going on. I thank them both for what they have done for me. And Im back to the hotel. I just climb into bed and sleep. My mother thinks im just hung over to hell, its better that way

No comments: