Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday 10/18/10

I took the weekend off from writing.... if the NOPD doesnt have to work over the weekend why should I?

Really I just needed a bit of a break from everything. I got back into some normal things that I do on the weekend and did my best not to think about the rape.

Today im feeling mostly just annoyed.  Im sick of having the thoughts of my rape and what may come of it always in the back of my mind. For the most part I ignore it...but the fact that I have to consciously steer my thoughts in another direction is just plain annoying.  Im annoyed that when Im driving in my car alone, I start thinking about my rape. I am annoyed that while I lay in bed at night my last thoughts are about my rape and what I can be doing to fight back.  - Im annoyed that I now have to take Ativan before I go to sleep to stop me from waking up violently in the middle of the night, throwing punches at nothing. I am annoyed at the lack of answers I am able to get until this DNA evidence comes back-
Fact, this "man" threw the condom he used in a cup of alcohol-  I am not expecting the lab to find any DNA evidence on this Piece of shit-  Im still coming after him though....he will pay for what he did, in one way or another.   - I am annoyed that I let this "man" consume most of my thoughts.  I am annoyed that I really dont think DNA evidence will come back in my favor on him......I honestly think he has done this before, and he had plenty of time to clean up-    I am annoyed that I have to wait for this stupid DNA test to come back before I  get any sort of information               This process is the most ridiculous process I have ever heard of.  Eventually I will learn the name of this "man" that raped me, So why cant I know now? 

Detective #3 called me......yes, i hope you brought a change of underwear after reading that.....the police dept actually called me.-  The Detective.....which i find out is a LT. Detective ....whatever anyway, told me that My Kit was starting to get looked at that day.....So it took almost and entire month to even get someone to look at my rape kit.....unacceptable.  I know there are rape kits just sitting on shelves right now, and some program needs to be put in place to get them looked at, but for newer rape cases , it should not take one month to have the lab get their first look at it.    If we are going to have a change in processing rape kits in this county , the new cases cannot be put behind the old, and a new program needs to be in place to take care of the new kits in a quick manner, while also getting the older cases processed.

Our country gives the right to people for a speedy trial........if it takes a month just for someone to take a look at a new kit.....victims are not getting their right.  How did this even happen??  A backlog of rape kits when it is our right to have a speedy trial.  I have spoken with a woman who is now just getting her trial started.......8 years after she originally reported her rape.   How did our country get this bad?  8 years is not a speedy trial, 8 years is unacceptable, 8 years is emotional harassment at the hands of our government

I will be in New Orleans every month, showing up at both the police dept and the DA's office.  I dont care if people think that will be pointless. These people need to know I am not going anywhere. That I , as a victim have rights and I will force them to do their jobs.
I am packed and ready to go to New Orleans in a few days, these offices should be expecting me, these office will know that I am going to do whatever it takes to make sure this "man" gets some sort of punishment and that I am taking steps to ensure that New Orleans stops under reporting their rape calls as 21-  I am becoming involved in a fight that is long overdue.  Our country needs to re-evaluate how they treat rape victims and how their cases are handled.
See you soon New Orleans

I would also like to add that people in Ireland and Australia have now begun to read this blog-  This issue is clearly an issue that needs attention and I thank those of you that are listening

No comments: